SEO – an acronym that stands for Search Engine Optimization. It refers to the process of improving the position that your website appears at in the search results returned by search engines like Google, Bing or Yahoo. But…
What really SEO is?
I like to think of SEO as a comprehensive, long-term strategy that revolves around increasing your site’s visibility in organic online searches. All the researches conducted in this matter show a very brutal reality – most of online users very rarely go beyond the first page of search results (59% of Google users visit a single page and only 6% go beyond 3 pages in order to find an answer to their query). Therefore the job of SEO is to place your site on the first page of search results. In nowadays online world, with such a massive competition in nearly every market, this draws itself as a difficult task, but… is it worth it? Short answer: YES, DEFINITELY!
SEO is crucial for nearly every business!
Nearly every research done in the field of Digital Marketing places SEO as one of the most important marketing tools that drive more people towards particular business.
Many of the marketers find that SEO is extremely important to their work. They point out that SEO is also one of the most difficult things to do in Digital Marketing, but it’s definitely worth it!
We won’t dive any deeper in to this topic at this stage. If you would like to know all the benefits of investing in SEO please read this post, where we explain in details why you should consider SEO for your business.
Terms you need to be aware of
- Keywords – surely one of the most important aspects of creating a SEO strategy. Keywords are the words or phrases users type in the search browser when they search for a particular thing. Your job (or your agency’s) is to determine all the crucial keywords that associate with your brand and then focus on increasing your ranking for those keywords. More about what keywords you should focus on here.
- SERP (Search Engine Rankings Page) – this is nothing else but the page with all the organic search results
- Organic – unpaid placement in SERPs (in other words, all the results you see in your SERP that are not paid ads at the top or bottom of the page)
- Rankings – a process that search engines use to determine where to place a particular web page in SERPs
- Visibility – determines how prominent a particular website is in search engine results
How does SEO Work?
SEO itself can be split in to two terms: On-page and Off-page.
- On-Page – this consists of anything you can control and directly applies to your own website. Therefore it relates to website speed optimization, content creation/modification, page layouts, images, texts, etc. Basically anything you can easily modify within your own website
- Off-Page – also know as linking – consists of anything done on other websites that may influence your rankings